Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider
Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider
Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider video
Let's talk about riders – watch this quick video to learn more about our Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider.
For Financial Professional Use Only. Not for Use with, or Distribution to, the General Public.
Why choose the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider?
- More comprehensive coverage — Claims can be temporary, with client’s physician certifying that the insured is unable to perform two activities of daily living (ADLs) or suffers from severe cognitive impairment.1
- Indemnity claims are simpler, easier, and quicker — No receipts needed, and clients can use the funds the way they want, whether that’s paying for professional care or helping out a family member.2
- Help keep pace with rising costs of LTC — Our rider allows Death Benefit Option B, so the LTC benefit can potentially grow with the policy’s cash value.
- Policy can’t lapse while on LTC claim — Clients don’t have to worry about paying premiums or their policy lapsing while they’re on claim.
- Clients can be reimbursed for expenses that occurred during the elimination period by taking 200%of HIPAA amount in the first year (100% of HIPAA is income-tax-free. The rest may be subject to ordinary income tax.)3
- Clients can receive as much as 3% of their benefit each month.4
- Flexible ownership options — While some companies limit who they’ll pay indemnity benefits to, we don’t. Under our rider we will pay benefits to an owner who is an individual, a business owner or a trust.
- If your clients don’t use the LTC benefit, it’s not lost. The cash value that would have been paid out as LTC benefits can be paid out as a life insurance benefit to beneficiaries.
Product highlights – flexible options
The optional Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider (LTCSR)5 provides a monthly benefit payment for Chronically Ill Insureds to assist with qualified long-term care. The benefit is provided through an acceleration of the policy death benefits.
A current charge for the rider is deducted from the Policy Account Value each month until the policy anniversary nearest the Insured's 100th birthday (age 121 on a guaranteed basis), unless the policy is on claim under the LTCSR. There are other restrictions and limitations on this rider, please review the product specifications for details.
Your clients have the flexibility to tailor the rider to fit their potential long-term care needs.
Accelerate all or some of the policy’s death benefit
|Death benefit option||Acceleration percentage|
* For Death Benefit Option A policies, the Maximum Total Benefit is equal to the current Long-Term Care Specified Amount on the date the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider claim is approved. The policyholder may select an Accelerated Benefit Percentage between 20% and 100%. Once selected, the Acceleration Percentage may not be changed.
** For Death Benefit Option B, the Acceleration Percentage must be 100% and the Maximum Total Benefit is equal to the current Long-Term Care Specified Amount plus the Policy Account Value on the date the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider claim is approved.
Choose the monthly benefit percentage they'll receive
The percentage your clients choose determines their monthly benefit amount. They can choose:
1%, 2% or 3%4
- Individuals, age 20-75*
- Need life insurance protection and a way to pay for potential long-term care expenses
- Hopes to preserve as much of his or her estate as possible
- Is looking to add flexibility to his or her estate plan
- Could own a closely held business, with a buy-sell agreement in place
- May have a special needs family member
- Currently has term life insurance and would like to convert to a permanent policy with LTC coverage
*67 is the maximum age in Florida
Expanded eligibility criteria
In addition to expanding our eligible underwriting classes (to include Substandard classes through Table D), many additional conditions or impairments will be considered for LTC coverage, subject to underwriting review, e.g.
- Type II diabetes
- Prostate cancer
- Sleep apnea
- Heart Attack
When clients might not be approved
Here are some of the reasons that might preclude eligibility for the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider:
- Certain illnesses, impairments or conditions relating to morbidity regardless of the mortality risk
- Substandard underwriting worse than the equivalent of Table D
- Medical flat extra is on the policy
- Disability Waiver of Monthly Deductions/Disability Premium Waiver Riders are elected and rated (policy may have Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider or Disability Waiver of Monthly Deductions/Disability Premium Waiver Riders, but not both)
- Disability Waiver of Monthly Deductions or Disability Premium Waiver Rider is elected and is declined for certain impairments
- Simplified Underwriting
- Foreign Nationals residing in the U.S., unless a strong U.S. nexus is demonstrated and there is proof of permanent ties or intent to remain in the U.S. permanently
- Policy issued as a result of exercising an Option to Purchase Additional Insurance Rider
- Qualified plan or otherwise subject to ERISA
- Policy is reinsured
- Cash Value Plus Rider is elected
- Return of Premium Rider is elected
- Insured is eligible for Medicaid
Documents to view or email to clients
Please select a state for your client to view the marketing materials that are available. You should consult the specific product specifications for rider eligibility and requirements.
Financial Professional materials
- White Paper - Connecting the Dots Between Aging at Home and LTC Protection
- LTCSR Top 10 Flyer
- LTCSR Lunch and Learn Presentation (30 Min)
- LTCSR Presentation (10 min)
- LTCSR Maslansky Language FP Flyer
- LTCSR Tax Forms Guide
- LTCSR Flexible and Affordable
- LTCSR: Sales with Life Insurance Easy as 1, 2, 3
- LTCSR: Protecting Clients’ Savings
- Comparison of Important Features of Leading Long-Term Care Riders
- LTCSR Frequently Asked Questions
- LTCSR: Add a Living Benefit to Clients' Life Insurance Policies
- LTCSR Effect of Withdrawals and Policy Loans
- LTCSR an Estate Planning Tool
- Life Insurance with the LTCSR Closely Held Business Client Profile
- Life Insurance with the LTCSR Owner of A Substantial Estate Client Profile
- Life Insurance with the LTCSR Special Needs Client Profile
1 In CT, to be eligible for payment of benefits, it must be anticipated that continuous care will be required for the remainder of the insured person’s life. In NY, to be eligible for payment of benefits, it must be certified that continuous care will be required for the remainder of the insured person’s life.
2 Note that the Rider does not allow family members to fill the role of provider of Qualified Long-Term Care Services. Please see the LTCSR Guide to Claims and the LTCSR FAQ for more information.
3 In NY qualified LTC is reimbursed retroactively. Also, generally, the income exclusion for all benefit payments from all sources with respect to an insured person will be limited to the higher of: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) per diem limit or the actual costs incurred for qualified long-term care services by the taxpayer (policyowner) on behalf of the insured person. Everywhere except NY, AXA will pay up to 200% of HIPAA (100% in NY). The benefit available and possible tax consequences can be found in the LTCSR Guide to Claims Processing.
4 Subject to age requirements and must elect 1,2 or 3% on application
5 In FL, this rider is called the Long-Term Care Insurance Rider. In CA, this rider is called the Comprehensive Long-Term Care Rider.
Actual terms and conditions of the Long-Term Care Services Rider are contained in Rider form #ICC12-R12-10, R12-10 and state variations. This rider has exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all jurisdictions or may vary.
You must be properly licensed to sell AXA Equitable and/or MONY Life Insurance Company of America products with the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider. Depending on the issue state, you may be required to have a health insurance license and satisfy LTC CE requirements in addition to other licensing requirements. Life insurance products are issued by AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company (AXA Equitable), New York, NY, or affiliate MONY Life Insurance Company of America (MONY America), an Arizona Stock Corporation, main administrative offices in Jersey City, NJ. MONY America is not licensed to do business in New York.